RE: [External] : Re: NonGNU ELPA work

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: NonGNU ELPA work
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 20:37:39 +0000

> > Where, besides your reply, is all this specified?
>
> It should all be in:
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/nongnu.git/plain/README.org

Maybe indirectly and kinda.  Yes, that says what will
be accepted or rejected.  It doesn't (IMO) seem to
really call out what NonGNU is for, or means - its
raison d'etre.

> That file is linked from the landing page on
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://elpa.nongnu.org/__;!!ACWV5N9M2RV99h
> Q!dZ33If3qH2IJkR4DaSJrMrd8PlnQWdZCR0L2hDehHhiser794dYsiajk2MS0CBsw$ .

And even less so, there.
"A package repository for GNU Emacs"?
Not too helpful, I think.

> > Is "NonGNU" the best, or even a good, name for this?
>
> Maybe one could find something better, but IMHO it's not a bad name.
> Even if you happen to not like it, MELPA is doing extremely well with a
> name that is even worse.  ;-)

NELPA or ZELPA or whatever would be OK -
doesn't mean anything; doesn't mislead at least.

> The problem is that we've pushed this name for a while already
> (i.e. it's probably too late to rename it)

Yes, I said as much.  I'm not expecting it to be
renamed.

> and no one has put forward any better proposals.
> So I guess we're stuck with it.

I guess we are.  At least the landing page and README
could explain (better) what the intention is.