Re: [ELPA] New package: ERC

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: ERC
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 21:40:57 -0400

Stefan Monnier writes:

>>> The way you're suggesting to do it, `erc-autoloads.el` will end up
>>> defining/autoloading a lot more "stuff" even when ERC is not
>>> used/loaded.  Maybe it's not terribly important, but I think it's
>>> important to be aware of the difference.
>>
>> Thanks for pointing this out.  Admittedly, my understanding of the
>> autoload machinery is somewhat lacking.  Would you please elaborate
>> more on this?
>
> I think I was just confused.  I thought ERC used a similar mechanism to
> the one used by MH-E and Tramp (where they use special lisp/Makefile
> rules to generate their <pkg>-loaddefs.el files).
>

>         Stefan

Oh, indeed.  Here's the commit that introduced erc-loaddefs.el:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=95369ac346d75a7b75bc2c5adf632cc4faa1241a
It just set the `generated-autoload-file' file local variable to
"erc-loaddefs.el" in erc*.el.

So I suppose it's fine as is, and I could proceed with my initially
proposed patches.

My only question at this point is, would the recent change to GNU ELPA
machinery where it pulls the exact commit changing the Version apply
for a new addition like ERC as well?  Does that mean adding ERC right
now would take it from this commit?
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=4fa778b62c936d5d3a3cc348043c072d7011f13f

--
https://bndl.org