Re: Emacs master: different (ugly) font in org-mode [Windows, macOS]

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: Emacs master: different (ugly) font in org-mode [Windows, macOS]
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 21:45:02 +0200 (CEST)

> Il 05/10/2021 17:46 Eli Zaretskii ha scritto:
>

> > Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 15:41:15 +0200 (CEST)
> > From: Angelo Graziosi
> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> > > I'd like to understand the problem better before we consider solutions
> > > in this area.  What's the problem with "Monospace" on MS-Windows?
> > > which font does that actually use?  ("C-u C-x =" on the text in
> > > question should report the font Emacs uses to display that text.)
> >
> > When I do not use the above Protesilaos suggestions in the init, "C-u C-x
> > =" on "begin_quote", for example, prints:
> >
> >              position: 1613 of 4924 (33%), column: 5
> >             character: i (displayed as i) (codepoint 105, #o151, #x69)
> >               charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
> > code point in charset: 0x69
> >                script: latin
> >                syntax: w    which means: word
> >              category: .:Base, L:Left-to-right (strong), a:ASCII, l:Latin,
> > r:Roman
> >              to input: type "C-x 8 RET 69" or "C-x 8 RET LATIN SMALL LETTER
> > I"
> >           buffer code: #x69
> >             file code: #x69 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
> >               display: by this font (glyph code):
> >     gdi:-raster-Courier-normal-normal-normal-mono-16-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1
> > (#x69)
>
> But if JetBrains is the font of the default face, then having Courier
> for a non-default face is expected, and even desired.  So I'm not sure
> I understand your complaint.  Did you expect the fixed-pitch face to

Have you see the screenshots attached here:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-10/msg00064.html?

In my opinion Courier is very ugly...

> have the same font as the default face?  If so, it's a wrong
> expectation: we deliberately defined the fixed-pitch face to have a
> different typeface, so that it stands out.

But Courier is ugly! If I remember, Courier is the default font on Windows and
it is ugly! In the past, I tried Lucida Console (better than Courier) and
Cascadia Code but even this has its own issues
(https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2020-05/msg01950.html)

> > i.e., it uses Courier NOT JetBrains. On macOS something similar occurs: it
> > uses Courier non Monaco. Instead on GNU/Linux (default font Monospace
> > regular 11):
> >
> > [...]
> > display: by this font (glyph code):
> >     ftcrhb:-PfEd-DejaVu Sans
> > Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-15-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#x4C)
> > [...]
>
> And the default font on GNU/Linux is also DejaVu Sans Mono?

Really Mint uses Monospace 10 and I configured Emacs adding this to the init:

(set-frame-font "Monospace-11" nil t)

(setq default-frame-alist
      '(
        (width . 115) ; character