Re: Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorth

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorthands have landed on master)
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 18:15:15 -0400

> It would for me.  I'd have to keep in mind exactly where I'm invoking help
> commands from.  I've never done that.

Yet, I think it's very natural.  When you do `C-x o` the current symbol
under point is used as a default choice, so it makes sense that it would
obey the rules that apply to the buffer from which it was invoked.

That's already the case for variable names when it comes to printing
their (buffer-local) value, of course.

More importantly, I think conflicts will be quite rare, so you could
decide to not use this functionality and you'd likely not be
significantly affected.

        Stefan