[ELPA] Maintaining multiple packages in the same repo, branch, and workt

From: Adam Porter
Subject: [ELPA] Maintaining multiple packages in the same repo, branch, and worktree
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 10:09:28 -0500

Hi Stefan, et al,

After having split taxy-magit-section.el into a separate branch of the
taxy.el git repo, Jonas recently pointed out that this doesn't work well
with some other tools:

https://github.com/alphapapa/taxy.el/issues/3

And as I mention there, it can be easier for the package developer to
keep two closely related packages' source files in the same repo,
branch, and worktree.  That's certainly the case for me with taxy and
taxy-magit-section: while they should be packaged separately, and while
development of them has settled down a bit, they are closely related,
still young, and changes in one may require changes in the other.  So it
would be preferable for me to keep the files side-by-side.

Despite the unwieldy list of :ignored-files in the elpa-packages file,
this is how Magit and Magit Section are packaged in NonGNU ELPA: they
come from the same repo, branch, and worktree, and their "recipes" are
configured appropriately.

So, if it's acceptable, I'd like to revert to keeping taxy and
taxy-magit-section in the same repo and branch, and to update the recipe
in elpa-packages with the appropriate :ignored-files lists.

While I don't want to make extra work for Stefan or anyone else
maintaining ELPA, it seems like optimizing for the package developer's
ease should be prioritized over making the automated build process
easier.  If improvements need to be made to that process, maybe we could
discuss making them.

--
Thanks,
Adam