Re: ELPA: new package coterm

From: miha
Subject: Re: ELPA: new package coterm
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 10:22:27 +0200

> miha@kamnitnik.top writes:
>
>> There is a lot of duplicated functionality with term.el.  For
>> information on the differences from [M-x term] and why I didn't reuse
>> term.el functions, see the commentary section and the comment at the
>> start of ";;; Terminal emulation" section.
>
> Is there any reason this shouldn't be added to shell or comint directly?

It is actually my plan on the long run to eventually convert this
package to a patch for comint (and maybe eshell, who knows).  But as it
is now, I don't think it's quite ready for that yet.  I do believe,
however, that it's usable enough to be published as a package.  This
way, others can use it without having to wait for an Emacs release and
perhaps report problems and help in development.

Best regards.