Re: Moving kbd to subr.el

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Moving kbd to subr.el
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 06:18:00 -0700

> The syntax that `kbd' understands is the one that we're using to display
> keystrokes in help texts and manuals, so inventing another syntax for
> defining keys doesn't seem productive.

One idea is to disallow string syntax on the 'kbd-*' level of the API,
and have another function intended for end-users in their init file that
does allow string syntax.

I can't remember if it has been mentioned before, but John Wiegley's
bind-key.el (part of use-package) is one alternative for this.  Its
documentation is here:

    https://github.com/jwiegley/use-package/blob/master/bind-key.el

One nice thing about `bind-keys' is that you differentiate between your
own keybindings and those from Emacs and packages; you show all personal
key bindings with `M-x describe-personal-keybindings'.  This lists only
those keybindings added with `bind-key'.

(I believe that we already have the copyright assignment for
bind-keys.el specifically, even if we don't have it for the full
use-package.el.  The only remaining contributor to sort assignments for
use-package.el has only 6 lines added to the file bind-keys.el.)