Re: Tweaking the output of `C-h b'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Tweaking the output of `C-h b'
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2021 15:20:07 +0100

> - Why not show the first line of the docstring of the command in a new
>   third column?

Hm...  the display is already pretty busy...

> - The ":" after each section is name more distracting than helpful.
>   How about removing it?

Yes, the ":" seems superfluous, but we'd have to come up with something
else for outline to work off of then.  Uhm...

> - We would be able to avoid some weird indentation if we changed it from
>   16/32 to 20/40.  See how it indents around "C-M-<down-mouse-1>".  We
>   might even want to consider 22/44 (or something odd like 22/40), see
>   the indentation around "<bottom-right-corner>".

I was wondering whether we should just ditch the whole 16/32 thing and
compute the widths (per section), but not totally slavishly.

That is, compute the max width, but if there's one ridiculously wide key
entry (like "<remap> <switch-to-buffer-other-frame>"), then don't take
that into account (for the rest of the entries).  I think that would
give us more readable lists in general, but some experimentation is
needed.

> - Would the structure become more clear if there was one or two spaces
>   of indentation for the text under each section?

Which text do you mean?