Re: Grammar checking in Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Grammar checking in Emacs
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 18:29:16 -0500

> Just interested in why you find installing a jar file so problematic.
> Given it is essentially just a zip archive, how is installing a jar file
> and keeping it up-to-date any different from installing any binary
> package?

Not sure what you mean by "installing any binary package", but the way
I normally install a package is "apt install ....", and the "keeping it
up-to-date" is done mostly automatically by updating the whole system on
a regular basis (including via the `unattended-upgrade` package).

> Even when you clone a repository and build from sources, you
> still have to pull updates and rebuild.

Indeed, it sucks just about as much.

> Is their something fundamentally different with jar or is it simply
> a different build system and the discomfort is due to it being
> less familiar?

No, I'm comparing to something that's directly supported by
my distribution (Debian).

        Stefan