Re: Incorrect font weight selected

From: Sean Whitton
Subject: Re: Incorrect font weight selected
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 14:03:27 -0700

Hello,

On Sun 19 Dec 2021 at 02:52PM +02, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Yuri D'Elia <wavexx@thregr.org>
>> Cc: Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 12:29:10 +0100

>> > Does that font have the 'medium' weight?

I think so, though see fc-list output below.

I customized the 'default' face to medium Inconsolata, and commented out
my code which directly calls set-frame-font, and then I get something
which looks the same as it used to (I compared some screenshots).

> Emacs 29 distinguishes between 'medium' and 'regular'/'normal' weight,
> and I don't think I see 'medium' in the above output (or maybe I
> misunderstand it).
>
> Can you show the numerical value of the weight for each one of the
> above font varieties?  (Sorry, I don't know how to ask fc to report
> that.)

Here is what I get:

% fc-list Inconsolata family weight | grep -i medium

Inconsolata,Inconsolata ExpandedMedium:weight=100
Inconsolata,Inconsolata UltraExpandedMedium:weight=100
Inconsolata,Inconsolata CondensedMedium:weight=100
Inconsolata,Inconsolata UltraCondensedMedium:weight=100
Inconsolata,Inconsolata SemiCondensedMedium:weight=100
Inconsolata,Inconsolata ExtraExpandedMedium:weight=100
Inconsolata,Inconsolata Medium:weight=100
Inconsolata,Inconsolata ExtraCondensedMedium:weight=100
Inconsolata,Inconsolata SemiExpandedMedium:weight=100

I'm attaching the un-grepped output so you can see the other numerical
weights.

--
Sean Whitton