Re: On Contributing To Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: On Contributing To Emacs
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 23:26:24 -0500

  > > That's fine -- but note that the packages in NonGNU ELPA should list
  > > NonGNU ELPA as the repo.  They shouldn't refer people to GitHub.
  > >
  > > In some cases, the NonGNU ELPA version might contain some of our own
  > > patches.

  > That might be tricky, as a header like this would be added by the
  > package developer, with the point to ease upstream contribution.
  > I don't see how this issue could be solved fairly.

I see your point, and I have an idea.

When the package is maintained in NonGNU ELPA by the developer,
if it points to github, package-fetch could display a gnu.org explanation
of what is bad about github, then clone that repo.  Explaining the problem
would cancel out the problem.

When the version in NonGNU ELPA is not updated from an external repo
then it shouldn't point to an external repo, as that would be confusing.