Re: Have Customize always use `custom-file`

From: xenodasein
Subject: Re: Have Customize always use `custom-file`
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 17:20:35 +0100 (CET)

Jan 3, 2022, 19:04 by drew.adams@oracle.com:

>> > IMO, something like
>> > (setq custom-file (locate-user-emacs-file "custom-file.el"))
>>
>> I'd prefer the current behavior TBH, because the real
>> issue is not where it is written, it is when it's read.
>>

> No.  The real issue is who is writing it, and where.
>
> Users can control the location of `custom-file'
> and when it's read.
>
> And we can provide a default location and time
> of reading.
>
>> Currently it is easy to place custom-set-variables
>> where you want either inside init file or to place it into another
>> file.
>>

> That would of course still be the case.  Nothing
> prevents you from doing anything in your init or
> another file - including calling custom* functions.
>
>> Timing is important,
>>

> It's absolutely important, and needs to remain
> under user control.
>
>> because Customize also has problems with
>> autoloads, and who knows what else.
>>

> Dunno what problems you envision - please be
> specific.
>
> The only real change is to prevent Customize
> from writing to your init file.  Nothing else.

I am fine with this behavior, as long as we can place the
(load custom-file) anywhere we want.

My line of thinking was, if someone is aware of init.el
and what Customize writes to it, then it is already very
easy for them to do what they like, and stop it from
writing.  It is of course better to do the proper thing
from beginning.

For problems:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32693757/emacs-package-customization-and-autoloads