Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 14:00:00 +0000

Hello, Pl.

On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 20:06:43 +0800, Po Lu wrote:
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

> > A better benchmark is something like the following, since we're
> > interested in byte compilation speed and not the rest:

> > time for i in `seq 1 10`; do rm lisp/gnus/*.elc lisp/org/*.elc; make -j8;
> > done

> > This is 17% slower on my build machine on the branch compared to master.

> How much does it affect native compilation?  Background native
> compilation is already slow enough to be annoying.  Multiple people have
> said that they disabled that feature because it was too slow, so making
> it even slower would be a step in the wrong direction, IMHO.

Having wrong warning messages from the byte compiler is also not good.
We have had a lot of bug reports about this, even if not for some while.

The thing about byte compilation is that it is done only rarely - for
many users, possibly most, exactly once.  It is only really we
developers who will notice a moderate decrease in compilation speed.

My bootstrap on the branch takes 7m 14s.  On master it's 6m 40s.  That's
only 34s in 400s, which isn't even 10%.  It doesn't even make the
difference between fetching a cup of coffee and not.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).