RE: [External] : Rename .dir-locals.el to .dir-locals.eld

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Rename .dir-locals.el to .dir-locals.eld
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 03:04:53 +0000

> > 2. Isn't every Elisp sexp "code"?  How are you
> >     going to distinguish "code" from other sexps?
>
> Try 'M-x eval-buffer' in any buffer visiting a .dir-locals.el file.

Lisp data is Lisp code.  Lisp code can raise
errors.

Narrow any bit of fine Lisp code randomly and
eval it.  It's still code; it's just unlikely
to be `eval'able without error.

I think you're talking about Lisp code that's
Lisp-`read'able without error, but not
necessarily `eval'able without error.

If so, fine.  But that, in itself, doesn't
say why it merits a different file extension.
There may be good reasons.  So far, haven't
heard any.

(Ask "Why?" around here and the knives come
out.  I'd think that a proposal to change a
file extension would be accompanied by a
simple reason or two...)