Re: sqlite3

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 16:05:14 +0300

* Qiantan Hong <qhong@mit.edu> [2021-12-09 23:31]:
> It follows logically from my 5 arguments that there will be
> no useful case for database in Emacs, even if there appear to
> be some, they could always be done better with pure Emacs Lisp.
> I didn’t see any refutation to those arguments.

I am very surprised as you are author of CRDT. In fact I am not sure
if you are joking or not. The reason why I like CRDT is that people
can concurrently edit files in the same time from remote locations. It
is great for collaboration. Databases are similarly great for
collaboration.

Personally I am using PostgreSQL Emacs module, and that is great for
collaboration. A user from Seattle, WA can edit database backed
information through his Emacs and connection to my database, while I
can be talking to person which record we are concurrently editing, and
writing notes from the call. We can both in the same, from various
locations in the world access information pertaining to specific user
and follow up with the sales or other human interaction process.

Database applications are numerous and enabling databases from within
Emacs Lisp was done long ago. Having a database built-in or interface
straight in Emacs makes Emacs more powerful, it will benefit more
users. On my side it benefits so many people. Practical example is
that many people get employed because we use database and not text
files.

There are already Emacs packages for all kinds of databases, for
SQLite: https://melpa.org/#/?q=sqlit

And when it is built-in, with direct access it will speed up the
development of many new software.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns