Comments on setopt

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Comments on setopt
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 23:01:00 +0000

Hi Lars,

I'm glad to see the recent addition of the setopt macro.  Having have
experimented with similar macros in the past, I wanted to raise these
points:

- Unless it makes more sense for `customize-set-variable' to take care
  of it, should there be some type checking with errors or warnings if
  the value doesn't match the type of a user option?

- As `customize-set-variable' is being used directly, the "user" theme
  is modified, and a customisation might be mirrored in
  `custom-set-variables'.  This can lead to the unfortunate situation
  where your setopt configuration is overriden by the
  `custom-set-variables', depending on when and how you load `custom-file'
  and when and how the `custom-set-variables' was generated.

- While I don't mind it really, I can imagine that others might object
  to the "long" name, when compared to setq.  Would a default alias like
  "seto" or "setc" be worth it or not?

--
        Philip Kaludercic