Re: Systematic implicit aliases for option variables

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Systematic implicit aliases for option variables
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 13:01:51 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2022 23:46:51 -0500
>
>   > > If you give it `occur', it would recognize that that is an alias
>   > > for `list-matching-lines', and show you the options pertinent to
>   > > `list-matching-lines'.  You wouldn't need to know that `occur'
>   > > is an alias.
>   > >
>   > > I think the hard part of this would be adding a data base to find the
>   > > custom groups that are pertinent to any particular command.
>   > >

>   > Sounds like a natural extension of customize-apropos, which we already
> have?
>
> Could you explain how it relates to customize-apropos?  That selects
> options purely on their names -- the feature I request would select
> them based on semantics.

Yes, it currently only considers names.  The idea is to extend it
consider aliases as well.  For example, for each symbol it finds by
name, it could attempt to find its alias(es), and if found, show the
symbols related to those aliases as well.  Similar to what you
suggested, but without a new command.