Re: Select completions from the minibuffer

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Select completions from the minibuffer
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 14:06:13 +0200

> Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 12:53:36 +0100
> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Eli:
>
> If there is a way to force the display engine to detect a change in a
> window and use it to pass *Completions* in the next call to
> redisplay--pre-redisplay-functions? I mean to avoid the need to do a
> redundant explicit call to redisplay--update-cursor-face-highlight which
> doesn't really take effect?

The display engine is supposed to figure out by itself that a window
needs to be redisplayed, due to some changes in the window or its
buffer or anything else that affects the window display.  Anything
else is a bug, because it means a window will not be redrawn when some
change affecting it happens.

So I don't think I understand your question.  It almost sounds like
"can we force redisplay do its job correctly?"

I guess some details are missing from your description, which is why I
asked for a test case.