Re: [ELPA] Add fontaine package?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ELPA] Add fontaine package?
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 10:57:19 +0300

> From: Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com>
> Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 11:03:23 +0300
>
> I have a new package called "fontaine" that I would like to offer to the
> FSF for inclusion in GNU ELPA (see attached patch).  Conceptually, this
> is similar to the 'cursory' package I submitted last week: the user
> defines presets of font configurations and can switch between them on
> demand.
>
> This can be useful for someone who, for example, likes compact fonts
> while typing and more spacious ones for reading or doing a presentation.
>
> Do you think this can be added to the package archive?  Any further
> comments?

I have some comments on the package's code:

 . It uses internal-set-lisp-face-attribute, which is an internal
   primitive, something I'd suggest to avoid.  Why can't it use
   set-lisp-face-attribute instead?
 . For some reason, customization of the bold-italic face is not
   supported, whereas that of bold and italic is supported.  Why is
   that?
 . The documentation should IMO explain that the font settings are
   only for the ASCII characters; for non-ASCII characters Emacs will
   still use fonts from the fontset, which probably belong to
   different families.
 . Specifying default weight that is other than 'normal'/'regular',
   'bold', or 'italic' will not work on MS-Windows.  I think this
   should be at least documented.
 . On MS-Windows, fontaine--family-list-variable-pitch returns nil,
   whereas fontaine--family-list-fixed-pitch returns a list of font
   families that include both fixed-pitch and variable-pitch fonts.
   That was due to a bug (which is now fixed on master), but this will
   not work reliably in older versions of Emacs.
 . IME, the list of fonts returned by x-family-fonts may include fonts
   that aren't appropriate for use by Emacs, so caveat emptor.

Thanks.