Re: [External] : Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while insta

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2022 09:20:50 +0200

>> Why is it "most useful" for users to strip
>> away parts of that?
>
> No one said that that's the case.  Not I, at
> least.  Are you looking for a straw man?

No, but maybe I didn't understand your suggestion which sounded to me as
if you say that there should be a mandatory plain-text README to be
displayed in Emacs plus as many "rich" versions as the package author
wants.  However, those wouldn't be displayed in Emacs.  Or rather, they
would only be displayed when you find-file them inside ~/.emacs.d/elpa/
which is quite unlikely to happen (unless the README says there are also
alternative versions of the package destription available).

>> Yes, indeed.  I haven't seen anything like that for
>> markdown (which is probably even more popular for
>> READMEs than org), though.
>
> Even producing a plain-text version by manual editing
> is likely not a big deal in most cases.  That's my
> guess, at least.

Having to synchronize two identical (wrt. contents) versions of a
document manually, one with markup and one without, is annoying IMO.

Bye,
Tassilo