Re: Larger GC thresholds for non-interactive Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Larger GC thresholds for non-interactive Emacs
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 10:37:16 +0300

> From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com>
> Cc: Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com>,  larsi@gnus.org,
>   monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  mattiase@acm.org,  theophilusx@gmail.com,
>   rms@gnu.org,  acm@muc.de,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 15:18:37 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> Not that I don't enjoy trawling through old threads in the emacs-devel
> >> archive
> >> (searching for mmap led to a thread from the introduction of the portable
> >> dumper),
> >> but it would be a lot easier if there were design notes somewhere recording
> >> the rationale of the decisions reflected in the current code.
> >
> > We lack someone in the role of the "project historian", who would then
> > summarize and publish the design discussions in the form of such
> > notes.  Volunteers are most welcome.
>
> What about simply following a convention to link relevant discussion in
> the commit message?

That convention does exist, and the results of its use are before our
eyes ;-).  It doesn't help that Git doesn't support retroactive
modifications of commit logs, except via cumbersome workarounds that
no one seems to like using.

And that won't help with past discussions whose commits are in the
tree for many years.

But yes, using such links is definitely helpful, and I'd encourage
people to use that more.  (That's one reason why changes should
preferably be discussed on the bug tracker: the bug number -- if not
forgotten to be mentioned in the log message -- serves as a pointer to
the discussions.)