Re: Larger GC thresholds for non-interactive Emacs

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Larger GC thresholds for non-interactive Emacs
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 16:02:36 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> What about simply following a convention to link relevant discussion in
>> the commit message?
>
> That convention does exist, and the results of its use are before our
> eyes ;-).  It doesn't help that Git doesn't support retroactive
> modifications of commit logs, except via cumbersome workarounds that
> no one seems to like using.

Good to know.

> And that won't help with past discussions whose commits are in the
> tree for many years.

Can't the past discussions be directly updated by sending an extra email
that links back to the new commit?

> But yes, using such links is definitely helpful, and I'd encourage
> people to use that more.  (That's one reason why changes should
> preferably be discussed on the bug tracker: the bug number -- if not
> forgotten to be mentioned in the log message -- serves as a pointer to
> the discussions.)

What about the message ID? It should also be unique enough to link to
the relevant ML thread. (it is a bit annoying that lists.gnu.org does
not support easy search via link id, unlike e.g.
87r13n5muk.fsf@gnus.org/">https://yhetil.org/emacs-devel/87r13n5muk.fsf@gnus.org/).

Best,
Ihor