Re: Loading tramp for dump goes into infinite regress

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: Re: Loading tramp for dump goes into infinite regress
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 20:58:21 -0400

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 7:24 AM Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com> wrote:

> Given that I can't seem to produce a bootstrapped dump without getting
> an incoherent eln file, I will be making one more attempt using
> byte-compiled versions of the files in site-load for the dump
> procedure, but with the native compiler enabled.
> In either case, I will also bootstrap with native compilation disabled
> for comparison.

I was still seeing some runaway allocation even with native
compilation completely disabled, so I finally fired up gdb and found
the culprit:  "lmalloc", which has a comment saying the "while (true)"
loop shouldn't iterate on a modern platform.  RHEL 7.9 isn't hot off
the presses, but it's not that ancient.
I'll try to replicate on a personal machine and file a bug, but it's
not clear what triggers the condition. When it does occur, it always
occurs at the same place.  One instance was from loading cc-mode in
site-load (after byte-compiling all the dependencies in the correct
order).  I wrapped the "defun c-init-language-vars-for" sexp in an
eval, based on a comment in another one of the cc-* files (i.e.
cargo-cult programming on my part), and that stopped the runaway
allocation.  But then it happened while loading ibuffer.el.

Lynn