Re: ELPA submission: python-import

From: Augusto Stoffel
Subject: Re: ELPA submission: python-import
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 11:08:37 +0200

On Sat, 30 Jul 2022 at 23:28, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> I don't use Python, and I don't know what isort or pyflakes do,
> but if they are not extremely complicated we could write Lisp code
> to do the job this facility needs.

I've been using a similar package from MELPA (pyimport) that does
exactly that, i.e., parsing the Python code from Lisp.  Unfortunately,
the parsing is a bit naive and fails for certain code formatting styles.

Of course the said package could be improved (the task couldn't be
regarded as “extremely complicated”), but I don't see the motivation of
doing so when the effort can be offloaded to an external tool that
already exists and is free and pretty reliable.

> Putting this feature in a separate package would have two disadvantages:
> * It would make Emacs more complex.
> * It would discourage users from finding out about the feature.

Yes, I agree now.