Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 18:43:20 +0800

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> Meh. C-with-macros as used all over Emacs is complex as well, and also
> requires learning. Iʼm neither a C++ fanboy nor an expert in "modern"
> C++, but if it can be used to reduce complexity Iʼm all for it. GDB
> seems to have had some success with it.

FWIW, I object to requiring C++ for the build, simply because it's not a
language I know very well.  But there is nothing wrong with implementing
a GUI backend in C++: we already require non-C languages for both the
Nextstep and Haiku window systems.

> I canʼt think of a major platform for Emacs which doesnʼt have a C++
> compiler (MS-DOS maybe?)

DJGPP supports C++, but I have no idea if its C++ library is
unexec-ready (the MS-DOS build only supports unexec.)