Re: master 4803fba487 1/2: 'C-x v v' on a diff buffer commits it as a pa

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master 4803fba487 1/2: 'C-x v v' on a diff buffer commits it as a patch (bug#52349)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 19:11:27 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> And then show a message to the user saying something like
>
>   Edit the diffs to leave only the hunks you want to commit,
>   then type C-c to go ahead and commit them.

In a recursive edit?

Sure, that's a possible interface, but I don't really see much practical
difference, except being less flexible.  You're proposing a
"start-a-selective-commit" command followed by `C-c C-c'.

But today you can say `C-x v D' to make the diff buffer, but you can
also make it in other ways, like `v' in the vc-dir buffer, or your own
self-composed command to get the current tree's diff (I've got one on
`H-d' that does some other stuff first and then presents me with the
diff buffer).  And then you an edit the buffer, and `C-x v v' to commit
just the selected bits.

It's more flexible, and not more work for the user than what you're
proposing, as far as I can tell.