Re: master 4803fba487 1/2: 'C-x v v' on a diff buffer commits it as a pa

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: master 4803fba487 1/2: 'C-x v v' on a diff buffer commits it as a patch (bug#52349)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 13:35:25 +0300

On 31.08.2022 12:55, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> writes:

Might use some extra polish, though, if people also encounter the one weird
error about "buffer already killed" that I saw a few times but then stopped
after a restart.

Thanks, looks universal enough to handle all backends.

I hope that the already-implemented safe version for Git doesn't get
lost, though.

Definitely not. It's simpler, faster and, by design, more reliable.

Emacs' number one job is to never lose people's data, and the current
code is safe in that regard.  This new, more general code, does not look
safe: If something goes wrong (like the computer going down) in the
middle of this operation, we lose people's files, and that's not
acceptable.

Those files have been copied to a directory, so they should always be recoverable, no?

And that's not unlikely, because a checkin in some VCs means talking
over the network, so anything can fail (or hang), basically.