Re: master 4803fba487 1/2: 'C-x v v' on a diff buffer commits it as a pa

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master 4803fba487 1/2: 'C-x v v' on a diff buffer commits it as a patch (bug#52349)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 18:39:13 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> I don't use stashing commands from VC myself, but the stash mechanism
> is usually more complex, e.g. it usually knows how to merge changes
> (when the user has edited the file in some place and then pops the
> stash) and indicate conflicts.
>
> That's why a stash is usually represented as a diff, I guess.

Yes.  But I think you could just do that here, too?  I.e., instead of
copying and managing files, you can just write the `C-x v D' diff to a
file, apply reverted diff, apply user-edited patch, commit, reverse
edited patch, apply diff from file.

It seems easier, even -- you don't have to manage a bunch of files.