Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2022 19:32:01 -0400

  > I don't understand why you want to use such a complicated mechanism, when
  > a much simpler and better one is available.

I don't see how it could be simpler than using a Linux console,
since that is as simple as could be.  I have 8 of them, and to use
one, I just type the character that switches.

When you claim it is simpler, that has to be a misundersanding.

  >   Is there a reason why you
  > cannot (or do not want to?) use fbterm?

1. It will be different
2. I don't have any idea how to use fbterm.
3. I odn't know what new inconveniences it would cause.

ISTR seeing a discussion about whether fbterm "steals characters".
I did not follow it because I don't use fbterm.

I would like Emacs to handle nondisplayable characters on Linux
consoles the way it did a year ago.  I am sure that can't be hard.