Re: [External] : Re: master 513c5d827d: Use `format-prompt' in

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: master 513c5d827d: Use `format-prompt' in
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 00:16:33 -0400

  > That part is fine, but the fact that using format-prompt splits the
  > prompt text into two seemingly unrelated parts is a disadvantage, IMO.
  > I wonder if we can do something about that, given that this function
  > was released with Emacs 28.

I suspect that the crucial issue here will be how it affects translation.
Someone said that it will be hard to define the translations for strings
used in format-prompt.  I don't know enough about the details to know
whether that is true, but we should find out.

Would someone like to present that argument fully and clearly?  Then
we could investigate whether this problem has a solution, given
format-prompt as it is now.

If it doesn't, then maybe like

  > (format-prompt "Prompt##all")

is called for.  A little ugliness is acceptable if it avoids
a substantial problem.