Re: [External] : Re: master 513c5d827d: Use `format-prompt' in

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: master 513c5d827d: Use `format-prompt' in
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2022 12:03:48 +0200

    Richard> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider
]]]
    Richard> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,
]]]
    Richard> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example.
]]]

    >> Not only that.  The readability is also diminished.  Compare

    >> (read-char-by-name
    >> "Unicode name, single char, or hex, default all: " t))

    >> with

    >> (read-char-by-name
    >> (format-prompt "Unicode name, single char, or hex" "all")
    >> t)

    >> To me, the first one tells very accurately what will the user see as
    >> the prompt, while the second doesn't.

    Richard> To be fair, the two arguments of `format-prompt' have a clear
semantic
    Richard> distinction.  The first is the general description of the argument
    Richard> be read, and the second is its default value.

Yes. What this particular instance obscures is that the second argument
is generally not a literal string, but a variable, so any general
translation could only be applied to the first argument. Also:

    (format-prompt PROMPT DEFAULT &rest FORMAT-ARGS)

so that also applies to all the FORMAT-ARGS.

Robert