Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2022 21:47:12 +0800

Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> writes:

> Please define "comfortable".

In this case, with diamonds being displayed instead of escape sequences.
But that also applies to anything, so there is nothing to define here.

We should never change behavior in a way that makes a previously
comfortable user become uncomfortable.  Especially when the procedure to
undo the effects of the change is so convoluted that it necessitates a
long thread on emacs-devel.

> Here's a (real) story.  A program for a certain task is awfully slow,
> it takes ten to fifteen minutes to finish that task, and the computer
> on which it runs becomes almost unusable during that time.  It is made
> faster, and now takes at most a few seconds for that same task.  Its
> end users are not at all happy with that improvement: they were
> comfortable with the slow program, because it was a good reason/excuse
> to take yet another break in their workday.

I don't see why you have to conflate clearly unreasonable "comfort" with
reasonable behavior, such as letting the Linux console display
undisplayable characters as diamonds.