Re: make-frame-command with multiple munitors

From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
Subject: Re: make-frame-command with multiple munitors
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 11:21:20 +0200

I stand corrected ... this is what happens when the morning coffee has not yet kicked in and you write an email ;-)

So, in my case, i observe that the root window both on my Linux Laptop and on the Macbook Pro coincides with the device's display.
I have the device on my right and I place an additional physical display on the left. So the + 32 in my code is the equivalent I found
to the (left . 32) (top .32) in the xx-frame-alist.

And once again, it would be nice to have something to mimic the behaviour of my code in Emacs. I don't know, maybe an
(on-active . t)  in the xx-frame-alist???

Just a suggestion...
 /PA

On Wed, 21 Sept 2022 at 07:45, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:
Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:

> OK... a longer answer ;-) the moment you include (top . xxx) or (left
> . xxx) in the (default|init)-frame-alist the vales are taken as
> absolute values in the window manager's space, and Emacs will be
> placed (normally) somewhere in the display that is designated as 0
> (the Linux laptop or MacBook Pro) independently of which display you
> were when you lunched Emacs.

Well yes, that's intentional behavior.  Setting `top' or `left' tells
the window manager to try very hard to place the frame at the specified
location on the screen.  If you want the frame to be placed at the
correct location, you will have to either remove both position
parameters from initial-frame-alist, for it to be positioned by the WM,
or manually specify the position of the monitor you want.

A note about terminology from the POV of Emacs: the normal coordinate
space of a connection to the X server (the connection is referred to as
a "display") is relative to the root window of the display's default
screen.  A screen is then split into different "monitors", which are
potentially overlapping rectangular subsets of the screen's root window,
normally displayed in a single physical monitor, not counting overscan
or underscan.

`top' and `left' coordinates are specified relative to the root window
of the screen, not "in the display that is designated to 0", nor is such
a coordinate system affected by the monitor in which the initial frame
was created.  Where in the root window coordinate system individual
monitors are placed can only be determined by the output of
display-monitor-attributes-list.

Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden
Georg Kreisler

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet