Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: sweep

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: sweep
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 09:17:43 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: philipk@posteo.net, emacs-devel@gnu.org, jan@swi-prolog.org
> Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 23:02:10 -0400
>
>   > Currently you would get an error while loading `sweep.el` because
>   > `sweep--ensure-module` is executed on load which tries to find and load
>   > the dynamic module.  This is probably not ideal.  I wonder if it would
>   > be preferable to suggest fetching and building the dynamic module, or
>   > just to fail more gracefully...
>
> This may try to answer that question, but it takes various things
> about SWI-Prolog for granted, which naturally I don't know.
>
> What in the world is "the dynamic module"?

Since Emacs 25, Emacs supports loading of modules that extend Emacs
Lisp with additional primitives.  Those modules are shared libraries,
and can be written in any language that is capable of producing shared
libraries.  Loading of such modules by Emacs is subject to checking
the plugin_is_GPL_compatible symbol in the library about to be loaded.