Re: Hosting tree-sitter pre-built language definitions on ELPA?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Hosting tree-sitter pre-built language definitions on ELPA?
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 09:17:00 +0300

> From: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 21:47:11 -0700
>
> Tree-sitter needs language definitions to parse different languages. These
> language definitions come in the form of dynamic libraries. We can’t bundle
> them with Emacs since their version must match that of tree-sitter library,
> and we don’t bundle the tree-sitter library; also they are machine-dependent.
>
> I wonder if we can host pre-built language definitions for languages we
> provide tree-sitter support OOTB on ELPA, so users can easily download them?

We could, but how is this different from any other optional library
Emacs uses?  Users who want to build Emacs with an optional library
are expected to install that library from whatever 3rd-party sources
that make them available.  What is different here?  Is it really that
hard to download them from the official tree-sitter site?