Native graphical Emacs on Android

From: sbaugh
Subject: Native graphical Emacs on Android
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 09:30:20 -0400

I would like to be able to use graphical Emacs (e.g. with rendered
images, buttons, menus, etc. rather than Emacs in a terminal emulator)
on Android.

I think this would work best with a native port of Emacs to Android's UI
framework, such that Emacs shows up as a native Android app.  (rather
than running an X server and then running Emacs on top of that, which
works poorly in my experience.)

Note that compiling Emacs to run on Android and render in a terminal or
X server is basically trivial; it's teaching Emacs to render with
Android's UI framework that is hard.

Porting Emacs to any new UI framework is very hard, I know.  I don't
think a fully-native (PGTK-style) port is necessary; something hacky
would be fine.

But I don't know anything about Android.  Has anyone worked on this
before?  Is this at all plausible?

I would be willing to fund development of such a port, if a developer
can be found to work on it.