Re: When suggesting a file recovery, emacs should maybe check for actual

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: When suggesting a file recovery, emacs should maybe check for actual changes
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 07:08:52 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Maybe emacs should check that the auto-save file is not identical before
>> suggesting a recover-this-file.  Do you agree?
>
> Why is it a problem that they are identical?

Either the user or Emacs could verify that the files are identical.
Currently, the user has to do that work.  If it was the other way
around, the user would not have to.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I believe that in that case Emacs
wouldn't even have to show a prompt.  The recovery file could just be
deleted, as it doesn't contain anything new.