Re: When suggesting a file recovery, emacs should maybe check for actual

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: When suggesting a file recovery, emacs should maybe check for actual changes
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 08:07:33 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I'm asking if this is an important enough situation to add code that
> could be buggy to a feature that basically must be 110% safe?

You're right that it sounds a bit scary on the face of it.

Maybe it's okay if we do it in Emacs 30, and add tests?  Adding tests
would of course be good even if we don't make any changes.

> If the file is identical, restoring from it does no harm, does it?

No, but it's somewhat jarring.  Especially with files that are not under
version control.

My usual response, if I care enough about the file, is to manually make
a copy, restore the file from Emacs, and then check the diff.  Now that
I think about it, this suggests another nice feature to have would be to
show the diff directly from the Emacs prompt.