Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: chad
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 12:13:44 -0400

On Sun, Oct 2, 2022 at 12:03 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> Ah, I see. I was too sloppy. I was talking about Debian packages.

That still doesn't explain it to me (I don't use Debian).  Can you
elaborate what kind of packages are we talking about, in the context
of this discussion?

Debian supports a user installing, for example, emacs+magit, via Debian packages. This gets the user a stable, known-tested version of emacs plus the package usable on machines that, for another example, cannot or should not connect to the internet. This is less important to developers, but is an important part of the Debian support "contract".

For the record: I personally know of situations where such a setup would like to use native-comp and would very much prefer NOT to duplicate either the eln files per-user nor the effort of creating such. Whether or not that situation is important enough to the combination of emacs-devel and debian-maintainers to justify effort on either side is, of course, debatable, but I am highly confident that they exist (at least, did before the pandemic).

Hope that helps,
~Chad