Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 20:16:51 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org>,  david@tethera.net,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org,  akrl@sdf.org
> Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 12:53:56 -0400
>
> > All in all, I think JIT compilation strikes a good balance between
> > resources and their actual usage.
>
> Yes.  But the balance is different in different contexts.

Theoretically, yes.  But I don't yet see why the particular context
described by Rob is different to the degree that it would need special
procedures.

> FWIW, I'm not convinced it's really useful in Debian's `emacs` package
> to eagerly native compile all the bundled .elc files, but I think it
> does make a lot of sense for ELisp packages installed separately.

Maybe so, but even if that is the decision about the *.elc files, it
doesn't automatically follow that the *.eln files should be handled
the same.  I explained in previous messages why I think so, with
enough important differences between them to facilitate rethinking, I
hope.

> In any case, I'd let Debian's maintainers make their own choices for
> their own specific needs which are slightly different from ours (where
> our release tarballs and default config are designed in large part for
> users who'll compile Emacs themselves and who install third party
> ELisp packages into their $HOME).

We can only advise them, yes.