Re: Persistent failure to lookup hostname

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Persistent failure to lookup hostname
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 01:58:28 +0200

> My Gnus session occasionally gets into a state where it insists that my
> mail server's DNS name isn't found.

Is this with nnimap?  (I'm mostly just wondering whether this could
somehow be tied to the async code paths, which are more complicated than
the synchronous code paths and keep more state -- but nnimap doesn't use
async, so that would rule out that.)

> Does anyone here have an idea why `getaddrinfo` might return an outdated
> error, or whether it could come from elsewhere?  Or how/where I might
> find a kind of DNS cache that would be process-local rather
> than systemwide?

Doesn't ring any bells -- I didn't think there was a per-process DNS
cache either, but who knows these days with modern glibc/systemd...