Re: master f7b84345f8 1/2: ; * doc/emacs/vc1-xtra.texi (Editing VC Comma

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master f7b84345f8 1/2: ; * doc/emacs/vc1-xtra.texi (Editing VC Commands): Fix wording.
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 08:58:00 +0300

> From: Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 16:24:24 -0700
>
> On Sat 01 Oct 2022 at 08:48AM +03, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > The original text ("access version control system-specific
> > functionality") was too vague, and I attempted to make it more
> > concrete and clear.  I don't understand why that part is so important
> > to have it, especially if you agree that the most frequent expression
> > of "accessing version control system-specific functionality" is to add
> > optional command-line arguments.  Isn't it clear to any reader that
> > adding command-line arguments will activate additional functionality?
>
> I think it is important to distinguish just adding arguments, and adding
> arguments that take one beyond VC's VCS-agnostic interface.

Why is it important?  The user can do whatever they want with this
functionality, and we shouldn't second-guess them.  The manual
describes what we think is a good use of that, but other than that,
it's the user's call and prerogative.

> For example, it would not make much sense to use 'C-x v ! C-x v L'
> to log another (singular) branch.  You should use 'C-x v b l'.

"Would not make much sense" is in the eyes of the beholder.  Not all
of us are quick-thinking enough to realize the commands we sometimes
choose to do a job are not the optimal ones.  But there's no reason to
pretend that there's only one way of doing every job.

Are there other reasons to insist on the "VCS-specific functionality"
aspect of this command, beyond the above considerations of using VC
command in an optimal fashion?