Re: master f7b84345f8 1/2: ; * doc/emacs/vc1-xtra.texi (Editing VC Comma

From: Sean Whitton
Subject: Re: master f7b84345f8 1/2: ; * doc/emacs/vc1-xtra.texi (Editing VC Commands): Fix wording.
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 16:06:21 -0700

Hello,

On Wed 05 Oct 2022 at 08:58AM +03, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> "Would not make much sense" is in the eyes of the beholder.  Not all
> of us are quick-thinking enough to realize the commands we sometimes
> choose to do a job are not the optimal ones.  But there's no reason to
> pretend that there's only one way of doing every job.
>
> Are there other reasons to insist on the "VCS-specific functionality"
> aspect of this command, beyond the above considerations of using VC
> command in an optimal fashion?

What I'd like to get across in the manual, somehow and somewhere, is
that VC now has a broadly applicable answer to the question of accessing
VCS-specific functionality.  We've decided that in many cases, the best
thing is to require that the user edit command lines themselves, rather
than adding new VC commands or new VCS-specific commands.  So if someone
is wondering "how do I get at X with VC, do I just have to resort to a
shell?" it would be good for them to know that 'C-x v !' might be a
convenient option for them.

I accept that here is perhaps not the best place to try to get this
across.  Where do you think something like that might fit?  Would be
grateful for help.

--
Sean Whitton