Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 13:17:14 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org,  akrl@sdf.org
> Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 17:52:35 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > We could have such a feature, but how to implement it?  If we use a
> > timer for that, the timer itself will drain the battery.
>
> I think display-battery-mode users (I am one such user) will not agree
> with that assessment.

I didn't invent that, I've heard laptop users complain about timers.

But okay, if it's acceptable to run a timer in order to re-enable
compilation when AC power is plugged in, I'm okay with such an
optional feature.  Patches are welcome.

> > And if defer it to the next invocation of the bytecode, we might never
> > compile, because who can guarantee that the laptop is on AC when some
> > arbitrary bytecode is executed?
>
> We could push it onto a list of files to native compile, the files in
> which are then compiled once we detect the laptop starts to run on AC
> power.

You will see that comp.el already has a queue of files that await
compilation.  The new feature will newed to plug itself into that
mechanism, I think.  Unless Andrea has a better idea.