Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 13:49:44 +0200

On Thu, Oct 06, 2022 at 01:13:40PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 11:02:44 +0200
> > From: <tomas@tuxteam.de>

> > > We could have such a feature, but how to implement it?  If we use a
> > > timer for that, the timer itself will drain the battery.
> >
> > Guessing from a previous mail by you, the correct way to achieve this
> > is to compiler results to a non-existent directory, right?
>
> No, this is a completely different use case.

Now I'm confused. Does the non-existence of a target directory
disable compilation or just the writing of the compilation's
results?

> We _can_ disable native-compilation (and had this ability for a while,
> since Emacs 28 development); the issue here is how to re-enable it
> again "when computer is on AC power".
>
> > To me that feels strange, but I could live with that. Can it be documented?
>
> What would you like to be documented, exactly?

that pointing HOME a non-existing directory is the way to either
inhibit JIT compilation or writing of the compilation results to
disk (depending on the answer above).

Cheers