Re: noverlay branch

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: noverlay branch
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2022 23:47:15 -0400

> Update: I can no longer see crashes on the latest commit in the branch.

Thanks for the update.

> There are a couple of glitches though:
> 1. hl-line-mode overlay sometimes disappear
> 2. notmuch search buffer hides text in wrong places (see the attached video)

Hmm... that's worrisome.

> Should I report these things as proper bugs or is it OK to discuss them
> within this thread?

As Eli said, bug-reports are best.  I don't read the bug-reports list,
so I'd appreciate if you can add me to the `X-Debbugs-Cc:` when you
report those bugs.

> Also, I did a small test comparing Org mode folding performance (using
> overlays) on master vs feature/noverlay branch using the methodology
> described in https://blog.tecosaur.com/tmio/2022-05-31-folding.html:

Very cool, thanks!

> We also have tests for marker scaling.  If the overlay tree
> implementation can be reused for markers, it would also be great.

That's definitely not on the current menu.  It's not out of the
question, but would require a fair bit more work and will come with
new tradeoffs.

        Stefan