Re: browse-url and URL handlers (MS-Windows)

From: Pascal Quesseveur
Subject: Re: browse-url and URL handlers (MS-Windows)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 12:04:51 +0200

Hello,

In fact part of my problems comes from the fact that I was trying to
open an URL pointing to a Windows local file. When the URL is of the
form file://C:/some/file browse-url-emacs does not open the file even
if it is a text file.

>From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_URI_scheme it seems a correct
form for a Windows local file is file:///C:/some/file (3
slashes). When I use this form browse-url-emacs allows to open some
files, but always causes the following message:

File exists, but cannot be read

this although the file is read.

Everything is not working properly. For example in the case of an
image the buffer displays the contents of the file, but not the
image. The messages displayed are:

Type C-c C-c or C-c C-x to view the image as an image or hex.
Cannot display image: ( *mm*-273075 1 8193)
#<buffer kk01.jpg>

I don't konw if this is because of the incorrectly reported read error
when opening the file.  When the file content is displayed in the
buffer I can view the image with C-c C-c.

--
Pascal Quesseveur
pquessev@gmail.com