Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes

From: Daniel Martín
Subject: Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 12:17:13 +0200

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> That is why it is normally desirable to implement something yourself (if
> possible, unfortunately not in the case of PEX or GL 1.4), so even if
> support fades and and development stalls, it can be left for 10 or 20
> years and still work as satisfactorily as it used to.

I understand your concern, but I don't think that potential problem will
affect us significantly if we are able to keep the Tree-sitter
integration separate enough from the Emacs core functionality.  If
development of Tree-sitter ever stalls, Emacs can still fallback to the
parse-partial-sexp-based approach, which will be functional and I expect
it will continue to receive updates from people that prefer it to
Tree-sitter.

I think we're too early to know about the implications of Tree-sitter
integration in detail, so my only suggestion is to keep the integration
easy to remove/replace (we can expect Emacs will outlive Tree-sitter).