Re: TypeScript support for tree-sitter (was Re: Call for volunteers: add

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: TypeScript support for tree-sitter (was Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 09:26:19 -0400

> See attached patch.  I believe this should adhere to Yuan Fu's
> standards aswell.

The function name `typescript-mode` is already taken by NonGNU ELPA's
`typescript-mode` package.

Please coordinate with that package's author to avoid imposing on the
user the need to resolve that conflict.

The ideal way is to merge the two so there's only one.
[ And the second best is to kill one of the two, so there's only one.  ]

If the administrative hurdles make it impossible (i.e. we can't bring
`typescript-mode` into Emacs core and we're not willing to forgo having
that tree-sitter support in core), maybe the next best would be
something like: use another name for Emacs's built-in mode then adjust
`typescript-mode.el` to derive from `ts-mode` with enough backward
compatibility filling to make it not too painful for the end users.

For the sake of end-users I strongly recommend we try and merge the two.
Please, please, pretty please,

        Stefan