Re: xref-query-replace-in-results error message after xref-find-definiti

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: xref-query-replace-in-results error message after xref-find-definitions, was: Re: bug#58158: 29.0.50; [overlay] Interval tree iteration considered harmful
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 16:47:15 +0300

On 12.10.2022 08:17, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Let's drop the "global" adjective, though: whether the command works
"globally", "locally", or etc, depends on how the user made the search.
The "global" part is important, though: it's supposed to hint on why
find-definition results cannot be used.  The opposite of "global" here
is "partial", not "local".  If you can suggest a better word for
"global" here, please do.

I think you're trying hard to make it clearer, but it still won't have 100% the intended effect.

And it makes the error more likely to confuse the user and make them misunderstand how things work:

1) Saying "Cannot perform global replacement in find-definition results", with the explicit qualifier "global", potentially implies that a "local" replacement in find-definition results can be done. But it cannot. We can't do either currently for technical reasons.

We don't want to do "local" replacements in find-definition results also for logical reasons, but that's just the reason why we're not in a hurry to remove the technical limitation.

2) The message implies 'r' is limited to "global" replacement. But it can easily do "partial" replacement, as long as the command that produces the list returns "match xrefs". dired-do-find-regexp, for example. Or project-find-regexp, when called with C-u, and the user specifies a specific directory. They will return a "partial" list of matches, compared to the full project search.